Captain Mike Schentrup retired in 2021 as a Bureau Commander for the Gainesville (FL) Police Department, where he had worked for almost 25 years. The majority of his career was spent in investigative units, including major case detective, gang and burglary unit sergeant, and ultimately the division commander for detectives. Captain Schentrup taught extensively in various investigative fields and is the owner/lead trainer of Advanced Police Concepts, LLC (AdvancePoliceConcepts.com). In 2020, he established the APC Online Academy, to bring the investigative curriculum to those who are unable to travel. Captain Schentrup is an accomplished instructor in both in-person and virtual formats. He is an adjunct master instructor for law enforcement for the Florida Council Against Sexual Violence and is a member of its statewide policy group. In 2019, Captain Schentrup was invited to join EVAWI’s Cadre of Experts and has assisted with content creation in training modules.
Captain Schentrup has published three articles on sexual violence response: “The Transformation of a Major Case Detective” (American Police Beat, 2017); “How to Sustain Sexual Assault Investigation Changes” (LawOfficer Online, 2018); and “Initial Officer Response to Sexual Violence” (Chief of Police Magazine, 2018). He presented at the 2018 and 2021 (and soon 2022) End Violence Against Women International (EVAWI) conference and the Indiana Coalition to End Sexual Assault 2019 annual conference on Sexual Assault and Human Trafficking. He also led two presentations at the 2020 International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) Virtual Convention.
Captain Schentrup has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Florida in Sociology, with an emphasis on Criminal Justice and attended both the Police Executive Research Forum’s Senior Management Institute for Police and International Association of Chiefs of Police’s, Leadership in Police Organizations course.
- 24 years law enforcement and investigative experience.
- Executive management experience with emphasis on policy and culture development.
- Over 10 years of investigative training experience, with emphasis on Major Case Detective development courses, such as Sexual Assault Investigations, Interview and Interrogation, and Homicide.
- Accomplished webinar and online instructor/ speaker.
- Specializes in assisting law enforcement agencies in developing a culture of trauma informed response to sexual assault.
- Conference speaker on a variety of topics, including leadership and sexual assault response.